Media & Technology: Redlight Greenlight 123

Sunday, May 22, 2005

New York - the media mayhem capital

I work in Times Square in NYC. For those of you who have visited, depending on where you're from, it's probably a pretty amazing public display. I guess I would feel the same way if I didn't HAVE to see the inundation of advertising all vying for my attention. Most New Yorkers will agree that nothing really breaks through the clutter. Well, maybe every once in awhile you witness a domination of one advertiser during certain intervals because they've literally taken over the area. But if you're like me, it's nothing really exciting. Nothing that a few gazillion dollars couldn't buy. So what they took their entire annual media budget to light up the square? Yeah, they got some press and increased sales somewhat, but what about the woman in the cab trying to get to her job interview on time but couldn't because of (here's my use of a military term my friend taught me) nut to butt traffic?

Some of the "live entertainment" marketing I've seen in the square was pretty cool. Like when VH1 executed a street team promotion with a crew of EMS, Emergency Music Service, I think, workers trying to get the public aware of their latest annual concert, Save The Music. Yanno, that foundation they have to save music programs in public schools. The EMS folks were outside with instruments trying to get passers-by to literally "save the music" by giving it mouth-to-mouth resuscitation or shocking it with imaginary paddles. Yeah, I joined in. I got involved. I also watched the show. I wish they would have had one of those "here's what's up next" kind of updates like most news programs have now so you know when to tune-in because I only wanted to see Alicia Keys, John Legend, and Donna Summer. I also wish they kept the Divas concert, but then again, they ran out of Divas years ago.

Another piece of "live entertainment" is the Naked Cowboy. Nope. He's not completely naked. He's armed with a cowboy hat, cowboy draws, cowboy boots, and his trusty geetar. He actually has a website and sells his music. Go figure. ONLY in New York.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home