Media & Technology: Redlight Greenlight 123

Saturday, July 02, 2005

Branded By Association

Venus Williams won her third Wimbeldon title just moments ago. Davenport and Williams really made it a great watch.

What KILLED me was the blatant, in my mind, association with Davenport and a high-end brand. Once in awhile before breaking to a commercial or I'm assuming just to please this sponsor, the camera would pan in on the Rolex banner and what do you know, right underneath it was a sign that read "Davenport" on the first line, "VS" on the next, and then "Williams" on the last. This gave an opportunitistic opportunity to have Rolex and Davenport in the same shot. Remember those advertisements for the fake designer labels targeted at consumers who couldn't afford the real thing...if you like this real designer, you'll love this fake one... so, now, what brand do they want us to associate with Williams...Folex? Tisk, tisk, tisk.

1 Comments:

  • I thought that particular Wimbledon final was one of the best I have ever seen. I was pulling hard for Davenport, because it was most likely her last chance. She got as close as she could get, but it wasn't meant to be. It couldn't have been more exciting, though.
    What bothered me when I was watching it wasn't so much the close-ups of the Rolex logo, it was the repetition of the same commercial on nearly every commercial break. How many times can you watch Andre and Steffi battle out on the court, who is going to take care of their long-term financial needs with Genworth??? Being forced to watch the same commercial dozens of times during the same broadcast makes me never ever want to use Genworth Financial services. Go and try to brainwash someone else...

    By Blogger Gerdi, at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home