Media & Technology: Redlight Greenlight 123

Saturday, July 02, 2005

You Know It's Hard Out Here For A Pimp

Now that I have your attention, the title above is the first line of the chorus for a song in the latest soon-to-be blockbuster, yes blockbuster, Hustle & Flow, coming to a theatre near you on July 22. I was fortunate enough to attend an intimate press screening hosted by Ed Gordon and NPR. I know I thoroughly enjoyed a movie if I'm physically tired afterwards because it took me through the gamut of emotions - happy, grief-stricken, exasperated, grateful - and then some.

I believe anyone can relate to the storyline about a Memphis pimp who is having a mid-life crisis and attempts to become a successful Hip Hop artist with a little help from past and present friends. Disregard that he's a pimp and from Memphis, because it really doesn't matter in this context, and it's like anyone else's life who is trying to get their hustle on while locating their flow. Trying to find there way out of seemingly no way. Trying to awaken a once lost dream and understanding that you may not be who you could be, but at least you're not who you could be (think about it - no, you don't own your own company, but you're also not unemployed). Following your dream because it's never too late.

Everyone has a hustle. Pimps (or chauffeurs as one of the characters called them) use their charm (which in my opinion is not a compliment) and gift for gab to get women to make the money for them. Hustle. I go to school to earn my degree to command more money so I can stop trying to make a dollar out of fifteen cents. Hustle. Some parents work two jobs because they want to feed their family or save for a dream house. Hustle. Companies spend advertising and marketing dollars pushing their product hoping consumers will buy it. Hustle.

So yeah, it's hard out here for a pimp, student, parent, and company...so here's to finding YOUR flow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home