Media & Technology: Redlight Greenlight 123

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Get With The Program

That's the blog tagline for the fledging cable channel, Current TV.

During an appearance on Jay Leno last night, co-founder Al Gore called the channel "viewer contributed content." Partering with Google really gives the channel a different outlook, as is demonstrated by the "current" (I think every half-hour or so) on-air update of the top Google searches. During my half-hour stint, Current TV was the third most popular search. Gore also commented, "want to make TV interesting to viewers? Just have them pick up a camera." So, last night I saw pods, as they call them, from a jumper, a young female pastor, information about egg donation, and a model from Africa. Nothing interested me, but I think it definitely has potential. I presume from watching some of the pods that anyone can essentially create a long-form commerial or info-mercial for their business as well. I really like the pod's status bar at the bottom of the screen so viewers know the segment length. There were very few commercials, too, maybe one for every third or fourth pod.

Check back in a few weeks and I'll let you know if anything has changed. I have my eye on you Gore. ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home