Media & Technology: Redlight Greenlight 123

Friday, August 05, 2005

To Cell Phone Or Not To Cell Phone

THAT is the question. You're in a meeting and your cell phone rings. Do you answer it or let it go to voicemail? Doesn't it depend on the crisis of the call? Is it a call you are expecting and you asked to be called or is it just your stalking spouse making sure you're at work? Do you appear to be more important if your cell phone or blackberry needs your immediate attention? Is it just way too rude to answer it in a meeting? I mean, you are there for the meeting, aren't you? Would you want someone to answer their phone in the middle of your presentation? And if you truly have to answer it, at least excuse yourself from the room.

More and more people like to be accessible, but where is the line drawn? What happens when anyone and everyone thinks they can call you wherever and whenever they feel like? Then, nothing is important and nothing is an emergency because everything is important and everything is an emergency. For me, if someone knows I'm at work, call my work phone or email me. I will get back to you as soon as I can. Do not call my cell phone unless it's after hours, I've asked you to, or it's a true emergency. Some people will try my cell phone before my work phone on a weekday and there's no urgency. That drives me crazy.

To cell phone or not to cell phone. Where do you stand?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home